Biggest ever contract for Assemblin Norway
Assemblin has won the contract to install heating and sanitation systems in the new hospital in Vestfold – the Tønsberg project. The contract is worth around NOK 150 million and is Assemblin’s largest ever Norwegian contract.
The construction of the new hospital in Vestfold is based on an IPD model (Integrated Project Delivery), where the parties involved work closely together throughout the contract delivery phase. This agreement model is often used in the USA, but this is the first time the model has been used in connection with a hospital construction project in Norway.
– “Assemblin was pre-selected in May last year. Since then, we have worked with the main contractor Skanska, other pre-selected suppliers, architects, consultants and the hospital’s own staff to identify good turnkey solutions for the whole project,” says Torkil Skancke Hansen, CEO of Assemblin Norge.
– The process has been challenging but very exciting. It has also been an experience for us to only use English as a working language during the agreement process. Our project managers did an excellent job of securing the agreement and we’re both thrilled and proud to have been awarded the contract,” he adds.
The project will be completed by 2021.
Assemblin’s contract covers all installations concerning heating and sanitation systems, as well as equipment for medical gases. Initially, Assemblin will have around ten employees working on the project, but staffing levels are expected to be trebled as the project progresses.
– “We will start work on the boreholes as early as March. The entire project will be completed by March 2021. For both Assemblin Norway, and the project department in Vestfold and Buskerud in particular, this agreement is a vital step in securing both work volumes and jobs for many years to come,” says Leif Stensrud, head of department at Assemblin Norway.
– “Challenging targets have been set for the project. We will not just build faster than comparable construction projects, but also ten percent cheaper and without any faults or defects,” says project manager for the Tønsberg project, Tom Einertsen, who is pleased that the agreement has finally been signed.
– “Hospital buildings are complex and challenging projects, and intensive work has been necessary just to get to the point where construction can start. We have left no stone unturned to establish good olutions within the financial framework,” he says.
Facts about the Tønsberg project
The Tønsberg project consists of a new psychiatric building covering a gross floor area of around 12,000 square metres and a hospital building of 33,000 square metres adjacent to the existing building. The erection of the psychiatric section will be completed in March 2019, while the new hospital will be ready in 2021.
Assemblin is one of the Nordic region’s leading installation and service companies with operations in Sweden, Norway and Finland. With the strength of a multidisciplinary group and the personal presence of a local company, we design, install and maintain technical systems for heating and sanitation, electricity and ventilation in offices, arenas, shopping centres, houses and industrial premises. Our turnover exceeds SEK 8 billion, and with more than 5,000 employees in over 100 locations across the Nordic region, we are where you are. For you.